Battery Storage Business Development Director
This role is critical to deliver Renewco’s ambitious standalone and co-located storage development targets across Europe and the US. The successful candidate is going to execute the roll-out of commercial and technical development strategies across our target markets including new geographies drawing from his/her track record and experience in established markets such as GB. The role holder is expected to demonstrate unique entrepreneurial and commercial skillsets with forward thinking and a self-starter attitude.
The role requires regular travel within Europe and to the US working alongside the local development teams and co-development partners as well as supporting the wind and green hydrogen teams for co-location technical and commercial support.
The Director will manage a small team of technical and commercial analysts to support the department as well as potentially building a team of in-country storage developers.
Key activities and responsibilities:
- Build and lead on greenfield and co-development storage development capabilities to achieve MW targets in each of the markets with the support of local teams
- Develop country specific market know-how and intelligence and implement origination and development strategies based on routes-to-markets for grid connection and existing or future revenue streams
- Analyse the competitive landscape and addressable market for Renewco
- Manage and coordinate grid consultants in target market
- Support the executive team to analyse investment business and provide technical and commercial inputs to BESS financial models
- Prepare and present compelling structured investment committee papers/presentations
- Effectively communicate commercial and technical matters with colleagues and co-development partners and take lead on BESS business case modelling
- Coordinate and build relationships with market analytics companies, asset managers, RTM providers, BESS integrators and battery suppliers
- Follow Renewco Power’s Health and Safety policy in all aspects of the work
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience in BESS systems in a techno-commercial role
- Preferably engineering degree or a business degree with strong analytical skillsets
- Excellent understanding storage routes-to-markets, revenue stacks and TSO/DSO regulations and connection processes
- Proven track-record in the development or commercial asset management in stand-alone storage projects in the UK
- Understanding of TSO/DSO grid networks and operations is a big plus
- Knowledge of each of solar and wind technologies is preferred
- Preferably experience in the design and procurement of BESS and understanding of HV equipment and substation design principles
- Excellent communication and English writing skills
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly
Get in touch
We are interested in engaging with wind and solar asset owners, land-owners, developers and funders.